MCPS AP2 LICENCINGThere is a legal requirement that all UK / European Manufacturing of CD / Vinyl / Cassettes etc., must be subject to the provision of an appropriate MCPS AP2 Manufacturing Licence.
Digital versions do not require this licencing.
This applies equally to Record Labels as well as individual Bands / Acts.
This can cause anomalies when you wish to release CDs on own (DIY) Imprint / Label.
1) IF YOU WISH TO APPLY FOR YOUR OWN AP2 LICENCEYou will normally be responsible for applying for your own AP2 Licence if the release is on your own label, but we can still pay all licencing invoices relating to songs published by Maori Music Publishing for you if you wish.
(You are still responsible for the payment of any proportion of the licence due to the inclusion of "cover" versions or songs published by publishers other than Maori Music Publishing).
Alternatively you may opt to pay any Invoice yourself in the usual manner and then you will receive a large proportion of the manufacturing licence fee back via Maori Music (less the MCPS' and our commissions) in reimbursement and will continue to be eligible to receive any future recoveries from the MCPS via Maori Music Publishing.
2) IF YOU WISH US TO APPLY FOR YOUR AP2 LICENCEIf your CDs are on the Confidential Records label then we we offer the unique service of handling the MCPS AP2 process for you and we will undertake application and payment of the Invoice in full on your behalf, provided that you meet these criteria:-
- You manufacture your CDs through us
- Your original songs are all published by Maori Music Publishing
- Your CD is released on the Confidential Records label
- Your release does not contain any "cover" versions or songs published by other publishers
Please note that if you us to pay your AP2 Invoice then all future MCPS returns for you will be retained by Maori Music.
HOW MUCH WILL AN AP2 COST?(This is a guide and prices may change at short notice).
Royalties are calculated at 8.5% of the Published Dealer Price (PDP) multiplied by the number of copies to be manufactured (plus VAT). If you do not operate a PDP structure, you may use the alternative rate of 6.5% of the retail price (ex. VAT), again, multiplied by the number of copies to be manufactured (plus VAT).
Royalties are only charged on MCPS controlled Works and are calculated pro rata on timings of each musical work against the overall length of all the musical works on the Disc.
MCPS AP2 APPLICATIONSIf you wish to make your own MCPS AP2 application, print out the following documents:-
MCPS AP2 LICENCE APPLICATION
MCPS AP2 GUIDE MCPS AP2 FAQS
NOTE : If manufacturing is through us, your CD's will be manufactured by:
PPL / NEIGHBOURING RIGHTS REGISTRATIONAll releases through Confidential Records will automatically be registered for PPL / Neighbouring Rights and Digital royalty recoveries for you.
If releases are on your own label / imprint you may still wish to register them with us in order to recover any due Royalties.
PPL / Neighbouring Royalties